Wednesday, August 03, 2011

A Few Thoughts on What's Going on in My Life

Yours truly living the metaphor of taking a new path
It's August already, and three years ago this month represented the beginning of my life abroad. I suppose in my opinion August will always be meaningful, at least for biographical purposes, as it also marked the beginning of my professional life.

As I mentioned a few days ago, yes, I am busy. That probably sounds bad (who appreciates being overwhelmed with tons of things to get done?), but I am actually quite happy about it. I am not exactly obsessed with being busy, but one thing I do need is the feeling of being useful. I guess I am very ambitious, and a strong J (judging) according to the MBTI test, so carpe diem isn't one of my favorite life philosophies.

During my time in Palo Alto I will be working as public relations and general helper (sorting books, decorating, writer etc) at the NGO Friends of the Palo Alto Library. Their offices are 45 minutes away from El Camino, where I live, and I am there from Tuesday to Friday. When I am not at one of the offices, I eventually am doing work from home as I just recently took the challenge to improve their newsletter and website content. What I love about Friends is that they are truly helping support the libraries nearby with donations, and their famous book sales bring many people together and particularly help kids become more interested in reading.

My favorite place, in fact, is the children's books room. They have an entire section particularly devoted to Harry Potter and I would sit there all day. Their fantasy section is also terrific, and according to one nice grandma who was buying books to her grandchildren these are good books because they introduce many aspects of the fantastical, "but aren't too weird."

Other than my work at Friends, I am also going to interview two great authors I hard of last month. Roxanne Sancto and Martin Tarte published in December, 2010, The Pink Boots. The plot follows the life of Jamie Skyla, who was abandoned in a toilet as a baby and who goes through the challenges and difficulties of her generation until she starts reasserting her own identity through love. This is, however, neither a cheesy romance nor the common sex & drugs plot. The story is a lot more intricate and filled with social analogies and moral dilemmas that will certainly turn it into a classic. The authors are extraordinarily intelligent and until now I just communicated with Roxanne, but am looking forward to talking with M. Tarte as well. I'll be very soon interviewing them and writing a review of their book. If you are curious, The Pink Boots is now available on Amazon and on Barnes & Noble. I'll keep you posted on that.

I've also started writing for Demand Media Studios, which sort of works as an agent for freelance writers, filmmakers, etc. They approved my application and I am now one of their writers. I've been writing under their guidance, then, for eHow. I should probably let you know when my articles are available online. Would it be bad to say that one of the greatest things about writing is when you get paid to write?

That's, then, almost everything I am doing at the moment, because on top of the freelance writing, public relations and interviewing, I am almost done working on my last novel, which I am writing in English and aiming at publishing it in the U.S., working on an epistolary novel / writing partnership with an Italian journalist, getting writing done for a few writing contests, and preparing for job interviews that will start hitting my world next week. Isn't that fantastic?

I hope I did not overwhelm you with everything I am doing, but I am guessing that's the life of a writer after college. Wish me luck, and let me know if your writing routine is as crazy as everything I just described. My question, then, is how do you balance writing and your other duties?

P.S. This is the most recent interview I gave and it was on my life abroad. It's a nice way to reminisce my years at Lawrence University. It's part of a series titled Foreigners Through Brazilian Eyes and I have a feeling you'll learn a few more secrets about me. Enjoy (and don't tell anyone what you find out)!     

No comments: