Friday, September 16, 2011

The Voice of Youth Series

In Capturing Mary, by Stephen Poliakoff, Mary Gilbert mentioned that she used to write a column titled "The Voice of Youth." The idea, she confessed, was awful. Perhaps the concept behind writing to represent the voices of all young people might be a little too arrogant, or perhaps naively ambitious, but the truth is that it allowed Mary the chance to write openly about what she thought about the representation of youth in society. At least that is what I think she was doing, since there isn't any explanation of what precisely she did with such writing premise. All that was said was that she was a keen observer.

Well, I am particularly interested in writing about people, and what they think about life, what their life is like, and what they have to say about everything that afflicts them or what makes them happy. I thought to myself, then, that I should start a new article series inspired by Mary's column.

It will, at least for now, be called "The Voice of Youth" as well, and I am going to weekly interview young people from different countries about their past, present, and expected future. I want to know what they have to say about life, about their goals and what frustrates them. The idea is to simply mediate their voices through these articles. My main goal, then, is to show the world that these boys and girls have strong ideas and aspirations, and can effectively contribute to building a better present.

No comments: