Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11


Hello!

How are you feeling today? Yes, how are you feeling precisely today, on the 11th day of the 11th month of 2011? 11-11-11 should be a special day, correct? Facebook is crowded with people reminding each other to make wishes at 11:11. News agencies have already interviewed astrologers eager to let the world know that our planet is entering a new cycle. YouTube is filled with inspirational videos; and, of course, I've already watched one.

This morning, I watched part of a documentary about a man who forgot his entire past. He forgot his sense of personal and collective identity, he forgot about historical events and a few other details that we learn every day about our society and the world we live in. I was surprised to think, strangely, that forgetting everything and everyone was an awesome opportunity. I suppose that was just my weird instinct and necessity to live in oblivion, since facing a few problems recently seems to be embittering my days a little. I, then, saw his mom crying when talking about him, and I realized that my first thoughts had been too selfish. Michael protested: “What about me?” And I, then, quickly reminded myself that we're so interconnected that whatever happens to each of us will inevitably affect our family and friends, and I wouldn't want people to suffer for me, I wouldn't want to forget people who are so dear to me, as well. I naively thought that having no memories meant getting a new opportunity to start a new life, start a new cycle. But who would guarantee that in this new life I wouldn't make mistakes I made in the past? Now that I think about it, this new life would be even more complicated, since there would be no 'lessons learned' data in my brain I could go to before making new decisions.

I know today you'll probably hear many people telling you to make wishes at 11:11 p.m., which I think probably is your last opportunity to tune in this whole 11-11-11 celebration. I must ask you, instead, to simply stop for a while and meditate about your past. There's so much there, so much in our memories that could probably help us in the present and the future. Even if the past is a painful place to explore, if you carefully approach it, it will certainly give you one or two advices about how to live a better life from now on.

Well, enough with the sad talk, right? I'll leave you with Neil Gaiman's Blueberry Girl instead of my typical melancholy. He's an extraordinary writer and I dare say he's one of my favorite authors. I believe I shall write another post later today, since I'll be alone for most part of this Friday, and I like to think I have you to go to when I need someone to talk to. Michael is taking his GRE this afternoon, and he'll be done only at 9:00ish. It's an awfully long test, so let us send him positive thoughts!

Happy 11-11-11!

No comments: