Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Life in Madison -- New Neighbors, New Stories?


Michael and I, and the Capitol back there.
I heard from a few friends recently, even though some of them aren't official “followers” of my blog, that they often read my posts. In all honesty, I felt a little surprised. I mean I very rarely get comments here, so it's hard for me to believe that there are people visiting this website. I like to think, then, that my visitors are ghosts. They come see what's up with me without making a fuss about their presence, impregnate the environment with their positive vibe, and then leave. In this case, my analogy refers more to guardian angels. Ghosts or angels, they are still here – although invisible – and to thank them I promise I will try my best to make this a daily journal.

The problem, however, is that I don't think I have that many adventures to narrate, now that I'm not at school anymore. At Lawrence, there was always a lot going on, even if it wasn't stuff going on in my life. I could always describe what my neighbors, classmates, friends and other acquaintances were doing. I could always talk about the silly jokes I heard when on duty (because, if you forgot, I was an RA), or about the food served at the cafeteria. Now that I live in Madison, there aren't that many stories, other than the regular dream job hunting that my life turned into in these last few months. For instance, I barely know our floor neighbors here. But, for the sake of this post, I will do my best to give you at least a brief account of how life feels like in this building.

We live on a very large building a few blocks away from the Capitol. It is, I believe, divided into three sections, though, and every section perhaps belongs to a different housing company. Once, we went exploring the west-side of the building, and surprisingly it looks a lot more polished than our side, which is the eastern part. I have no idea what the middle section looks like, but at times I hear noises coming from there at night. Yes, because I think the noise (music, footsteps and whatnot) reverberates on the ceiling and travels to our side.

I don't know our neighbors well, but I've talked with at least two of them. One is a professional snowboarder, I think. He is tall and skinny, and smiles a lot when he talks. Another neighbor is a girl who lives in the apartment opposite to ours, and she is now using our Wi-Fi connection, because it is always a good idea to split expenses with others. Other neighbor is a tall, beefy guy, and his face is always covered by his hoodie. And, finally, the other neighbor I can think of lives right down the hall and on Sunday Michael helped him bring a very heavy desk upstairs. He offered us soda to reciprocate the help, but we politely refused it. We had had a ton of soda during lunch that same afternoon.

Well, I guess this is all for now. Next post, I should probably tell you about my link to Random House now, because – guess what – they picked me to be one of their “Ambuzzadors.” It is, basically, a program during which I'll be helping them promote their books and recruiting more members to Random Buzzers. Yes, I'm very excited! Today I got a package from them with a free copy of Esther Friesner's Sphinx's Queen. That is the book I'll be promoting this trimester and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Have a great week. Leave comments and love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.