Thursday, November 10, 2011

Random House, Random Buzzers


Hi! It's Thursday!

I thought I should start this post by reminding you that it's almost Friday, after I saw a few friends on Facebook complaining about how school (and life in general?) is killing them this week. In my case, since I've been working from home, it feels like Mondays and Fridays have no real difference; but I know how important Fridays are for the rest of the world. This reminds me that my mother and aunt were talking with me online last night, and they asked whether Madison was a calm place. My reply, of course, was “from Monday to Thursday,” though I'm not sure they understood the joke.

As I promised a few days ago, I'm going to tell you about my most recent work-thing-activity. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what I should call it, but the best way to describe it is that the glorious publishing house Random House picked me (along with a few other book lovers) to join their fall “Ambuzzadors” program. I don't know how many people applied, but for the sake of my ego (after a second “I'm sorry, no,” from another literary agent, I sure need more reason in my life to feel special...) I like to think that it was very competitive.

Random House has a website dedicated to teen books with a strong community of people (mostly teenagers and young adults) interested in discussing their favorite books. The best part about Random Buzzers (that's the website) is that awesome Random House authors every week are available to answer questions and discuss about their latests publications. How cool is that? I believe what always attracted me the most about books was getting to know more about the writers behind these stories. I love to hear about their writing habits, about what inspired them to write, etc. So, Random Buzzers definitely was a place for me, and now I am pretty happy to be helping promote it. By the way, if you're considering joining the community, make sure you talk with me... because I might have a little something to welcome you.

I believe that's it for today. And, about that literary agent, don't worry. I've heard so many people saying how difficult it is to get an agent, and I shall never give up. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to that old dream of one day becoming a full-time author, and I outstretch my arms as far as they go in a desperate attempt to reach my destiny – or this vague idea of the future I envision to myself. It's so frustrating to know I still am swimming in the dark, but I shall not drown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm definitely checking this site out now!

Rebecca Carvalho said...

Thanks, and welcome! :)