Saturday, May 12, 2012

Brazil

I have so many things to tell you!
Let's just begin with. . . I'm going back to Brazil. Yes, I'm VERY excited, on the verge of a syncope. Whenever I say "Brazil," Michael and most of my Lawrence friends go "Brazillllll," so I guess I'm gonna have to get that song stuck in your head, too.


I haven't gone back since I moved to the U.S. and that was four years ago. It's been four years since I've seen my family and friends, since I've seen my land, since I've seen everything that is Brazilian. And how I miss it. Oh, how I miss it!

Michael and I are going to Recife on June 20th to visit my mom, my uncles and aunts, my cousins, my childhood friends, and the cats, of course. I want to show him Military School, Federal University, and a bunch of other places that marked my past. There will be some major sightseeing, too, because even I need to see what's still the same and what changed in these last few years. And then in July we're going to Porto Alegre, where I've never been, but have always wanted to go.

Today, I finally got my new passport. The other one expired. And we're just waiting to get Michael's tourist visa approved. Fingers crossed, people. This needs to go smoothly. Flying to another country is so stressful, and on top of that there's packing, there are goodbyes, and a ton of anxiety.

My time here isn't over, though. The U.S. will always be a second home. I've met such wonderful people here, and learned so much about so many things and about myself. I've turned into a writer here, in fact, and for that I'll always be thankful. Don't worry, this isn't me saying farewell. I'm coming back, for sure. Don't know when. But I'll be back one of these days, when you least expect a visit from me.

For now, celebrate with me. Michael and I are very happy. He wants to see the world. And I. . . don't want saudade lurking in my heart anymore. That was one constant presence all these years.

Love,
-- Becca

No comments: