Saturday, September 22, 2012

Semana Farroupilha

Hi guys,

How are you? I hope all is well. I'm sorry I haven't blogged lately -- I really wish I had the time to tell you all about our life in Brazil, but the truth is. . . there's not a lot going on at the moment.

The most interesting thing that happened recently was Semana Farroupilha (Farroupilha Week), which is sort of like gaucho pride week here in Rio Grande do Sul. I'm not entirely sure that's what they do every year, but I think many caravans from different towns come to Porto Alegre around Independence Day, and they camp here to celebrate their origins and culture.

On Thursday, Michael and I went to a parade, and saw men and women dressed in traditional clothes (they looked like they were wearing cowboy outfits and colonial dresses). They rode horses and played accordions. I'm afraid of horses (I have no idea why, but I guess phobias are mysterious like that), but I had fun watching them trot up and down the avenue. . . and, to my grief and surprise, up and down the sidewalks.

On the way home, we wanted shish kebabs, but we forgot to bring cash. There were no ATMs around, and we were sad. There's nothing like Porto Alegre's cheap, delicious shish kebabs. Since the camping site was on the way back, we decided to take a look at it. There were so many families barbecuing, we were on the verge of inviting ourselves to their parties. Fortunately, there was a restaurant with a good all-you-can-eat buffet deal (and, YAY, they accepted credit cards!), and that's where we ate more meat our stomachs could handle. It was a good day. At home, we took a 12-hour nap. Yeah, that's how much time we needed to recover from our feast.

If you're considering visiting Porto Alegre next year, I suggest you get here during Semana Farroupilha. This is a state very proud of its culture, and you normally get to see it here and there when you walk outside, but during Semana Farroupilha you really get to experience everything that makes Rio Grande do Sul what it is.

2 comments:

Caryn Caldwell said...

Wow! That sounds like so much fun! And that plate of food looks delicious.

Rebecca Carvalho said...

Hi Caryn!

Yeah, it was great. I think it was the best thing we've done in the south of Brazil since we moved here.

And the food, girl, was amazing. Unforgettable. There's nothing like gaucho barbecue. :)