Saturday, May 11, 2013

I need to know why you love food

Hi guys!

This is just a quick post to ask you a favor:

Well, as you know, I'm writing a book about a 17-year-old who wants to open his own restaurant. Miguel loves cooking, and he cooks instinctively. I've been doing some research and paying extra attention when I cook, but I feel like his universe still is a little limited.

I only describe recipes I've tried preparing myself, so I know what Miguel goes through when he cooks. But, there are so many great recipes out there, I'm just overwhelmed and lost. So, if you could help me with your favorite (easy-ish) recipes, I'd love you forever. It could be your favorite pancake recipe, things you like making for breakfast, or just your favorite tea, the things your kids like, sweets, sandwiches, more elaborate (although easy) recipes you make for dinner, and whatnot.

You don't have to describe the whole cooking process (although, if you did, that would be much appreciated). Just leave a comment with your favorite recipe and why you love it so much. You know, I'm also very into comfort food. I want to know what you eat when you're sick, sad, homesick, tired.

If you don't cook, feel free to leave a message on why you love food and what your favorite restaurants and bars are (and WHY you like them. That's very important to me). Miguel looks for the meaning and the right mood for every dish he makes. It can be international cuisine, too. Miguel is Brazilian (and he lives in Brazil), but his godfather is marrying an American woman, and he's been adjusting his cooking to make her feel more at home. He actually falls for her daughter when she arrives from Wisconsin to visit them, so he definitely tries to understand her better by preparing and eating the dishes from her country.

Thank you!
-- Becca
@cavalcar

5 comments:

Fei said...

Because cooking makes me feel more like home. Also because my province is famous for food. I just simply enjoy cooking the process. More fun than shopping sometimes haha :)

Rachel Russell said...

I hate cooking. However, I have a few things I enjoy cooking strictly because it's a "comfort food" for me.

In the winter, when it gets so cold it hurts, I look forward to cooking stew. It warms you up from the inside and keeps you full and snuggly warm the rest of the night.

It's also pretty easy to make. I just buy a roast, season it with garlic salt and onion salt, braze it in a large pot. Then I add water up halfway to the roast. I add more garlic salt and onion salt to the water, as well as a package of onion and mushroom soup dry powder mix. Then shove it in the oven at 375 degrees for about three hours. Then I add baby carrots and cut-up potatoes. Then cook it all in the oven for another hour and a half. Then voila, stew!

erin said...

I love cooking. I find it very meditative. As for a simple recipe, how about grilled meat, chicken or fish served with a fresh salsa? You could talk about slicing and seasoning the meat with salt and pepper then letting it sit, rubbing the grill with oil then the cut side of an onion to imbue it with flavour then searing the meat at high heat to seal in the juices. The salsa could be whatever was on hand -- a mix of tomatoes and/or chopped fruit (mango, pineapple, peaches, YUM), grilled onions, fresh basil and/or mint growing wild in the garden outside.

Sam F. said...

I'm a college student living in a dorm, so unfortunately I don't cook all that often. But we do have some college staples:

- Every once in awhile, we go to a sandwich shop and pay one dollar for bread ends (which the shop doesn't use for the sandwiches), which we take and eat with cheese or house dressing.
- Whenever there's a crisis, a trip to the grocery store usually solves matters: tortilla chips, pretzels and nutella, cookie dough, and tea we've brought back from our various travels.

Not cooking, exactly, but comfort food nonetheless.

Rebecca Carvalho said...

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I LOVE these recipes. I'm gonna try them all! :)