Thursday, July 25, 2013

Snow & Books

People wouldn't believe how cold it gets in Brazil during winter. Well, I didn't believe it got this cold in the south of Brazil until I moved here. We've been here for a year now, and this week is so cold, not even the heater in our bedroom can handle it (and that's the only place in our apartment that has heating).


It hasn't snowed where I live, but many neighboring towns saw snow. We get very excited about snow here, because it's rare. I lived in Wisconsin, and I'm used to snow, but I must confess even I spent a good hour peering at the sky the other day, waiting to see the much awaited snow flakes.

We're still waiting for snow in Porto Alegre; I'm afraid, however, this year we won't get to see it. The temperature we'll go up by the end of this week, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and we'll have to wait and hope that next year's winter will bring us snow.

As I waited, however, I got to read a few great YA books. The last one I read was Matched by Ally Condie. I'm not sure many people liked it (I read many reviews complaining that the reading felt too slow, and that it focused too much on the MC's relationship), but there were many topics in this book that left me thinking and made me cry (eugenics, euthanasia, and whatnot), so I'd still place it is a must read book. The main character left me mad a few times, but I suppose that's good. I'm not sure I agree with some of her choices, but I guess that's also good. My favorite character was her grandfather, who was a very strong presence throughout the book, even though he died at the beginning. I won't say more, because I don't want to spoil the reading for you, so here's the synopsis (taken from Goodreads):

Picture taken from Goodreads
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.



Where you can find the book: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Goodreads (and probably at other places where books are sold).

So, I guess even though I didn't get snow, I got reading done. I'm happy with that.

What are you currently reading? I've just started Legend by Marie Lu! 

No comments: