Thursday, July 18, 2013

What's your faction?

OMG, guys, I'm so excited!

I finished reading Veronica Roth's Divergent today, and I can't wait to read Insurgent. I'm... I don't even know how to put this... Well, I guess I'm slightly obsessed with this book, which is a good thing in my opinion. I read it in two days. Yes, it was that good.


Here's the synopsis (taken from Goodreads):

Picture taken from Goodreads
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.



Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Goodreads

I think what I liked the most about the book was that it reminded me a little of my days at military school. Wait, it was nothing compared to her training, but there were so many things about it that reminded me of my first weeks at military school. I was a small, skinny girl like Beatrice, and had zero physical strength... but, surprisingly, I quickly learned how to be brave, and stronger, and how to endure the elements, not to mention that I found the camaraderie and sense of 'this is my pack, even though I don't think I fit in very well' sort of feelings that Beatrice encountered, too.

When I was at military school, many of my best friends wanted to join the military when we graduated. Some of them actually had parents in the military, already, and sort of had a better sense of what life in the military felt like. For a year, perhaps more than that, I did consider joining the military. I couldn't become a pilot and join the air force, because I was too short and my eyesight is terrible, but I liked the Navy a lot, and considered a career in communications. For whatever reason, I never saw myself in the Army.

I changed my mind, though, when I asked myself an important question: am I willing to kill and to die for my country? The answer, call me unpatriotic if you wish, was a huge no. I'm a pacifist. I even struggle with self-defence. I feel I couldn't kill... I feel I couldn't point a gun at someone else. And, I feel I wouldn't be willing to be at war. I could defend my loved ones, and if killing happened to be the only way to defend them from harm, then, yes, I suppose I could kill somebody (or hurt them enough to disarm them and give us time to run)-- but, not as a way of life, not as my career, if you know what I mean. When I left military school, while my best friends were joining the army and the air force, studying to become officers, I began studying journalism.

That sort of dilemma is not the same Beatrice goes through in the book, but she does question her values a lot, and I had the same inner struggle. If we're to compare the book to real life, I guess I switched from Dauntless to Erudite? I don't know.

Read the book. It's pretty good. It's awesome, in fact. You won't regret it!

What's your faction? 

No comments: