Wednesday, October 09, 2013

What's Up Wednesday


Hi guys. I found out about What's Up Wednesday when I read Juliana Haygert's blog today (you should go ahead and read her blog, by the way!) and I thought that maybe it was a good excuse for me to come here and blog. So, here we go...

WHAT I'M READING

I usually have monogamous relationships with my books, but I've been reading a few bookS, and I switch reading them depending on my mood: (1) ON WRITING, by Stephen King, (2) CITY OF BONES, by Cassandra Clare, (3) EVER, by Jessa Russo. I'm almost done with ON WRITING, and I think it's brilliant. Every writer should read it. I don't know why, but I'm having trouble with CITY OF BONES, and that's a shame, because I really wanted to be in love with it. I just started reading EVER, and so far I'm really impressed with the quality of Jessa's writing. She's an awesome writer, and you guys should go ahead and buy her books now. 

WHAT I'M WRITING

I'm currently working on a YA historical novel (the first part of the novel is set in England, and the second part in China), and I'm really excited about it and equally afraid to write it. It's completely out of my element, and I think that's why I'm working on it. I felt I needed a challenge as a writer, and there's a chance I'll fail writing it, but at least I'll know I tried. What I love the most about writing it is the feeling of visiting new places as I write. I always want my writing to take me on a journey with my characters, and I must confess that doesn't always happen, and it's usually because I insist on controlling everything. This time, thankfully, I'm letting my characters take the lead.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

Victorian England and the Qing Dynasty. I've been reading articles and more articles online about both subjects, and I love doing research. And, I must say ON WRITING inspires me, too. So, thank you, Mr. King!

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO

When I'm not writing, I'm watching Anthony Bourdain with my husband, and we both dream of visiting new places. We were in Uruguay recently, and we want to go to Argentina soon, perhaps even before the end of the year. I've also been playing videogames during my free time... that is, I've been playing a videogame in particular, and I'm obsessed with it: Crusader Kings II. If you like medieval things, you should get it right now. I recommend it.

5 comments:

Miss Cole said...

I have owned a copy of "On Writing" since the early 2000s and I still haven't read it ^^; I should really get to it :P

England and China? Your WiP sounds intriguing! Best of luck with it.

Have a lovely week :D

joss said...

I love reading about Victorian England. I don't know why I just have some weird fascination with it.

Juliana Haygert said...

Yay! Glad you joined us!

Oh, a historical novel, hm? I'm glad you're challenging yourself.

I miss playing video games. I was a hardcore World of Warcraft gamer ... gave it up so I would have more time to write. What we don't do for writing, uh? lol

Bridgid Gallagher said...

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday! It's such a fun group. :)

I loved ON WRITING. It's one of those books that I get something new out of every time I read it. And I just finished CITY OF BONES last week. SO. GOOD. :) I'm on to the fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series. Still amazing. Still can't put it down.

EVER is new to me, but I love the premise. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

Rebecca Carvalho said...

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm really glad that I joined What's Up Wednesday. :D